Juliet is a complicated case of a journey to bilingualism: her DLI program at school is sequential, where she is only instructed in Spanish literacy, but at home she receives support in both English and Spanish reading and writing, and has been developing speaking and listening skills in both languages her entire life. I think after hearing the deep integration of both languages into her social language that she is closer to a simultaneous bilingual than a sequential one. While I think Juliet is developing in a multi-faceted way, analysis of her language revealed English to be “dominant”. She has more control and linguistic complexity in English than Spanish, and defaults to English to explain complicated ideas.
In the classroom, Juliet is likely to respond to people in the language she is addressed in. When her DLI classroom teacher spoke to her, she would answer in Spanish, even if the reply was, “No sé”. When addressed by a classmate in English she would respond as spoken to, except when she would attempt to translate to the other language on behalf of a peer. Twice while translating—once from English to Spanish, then again from Spanish to English—I observed Juliet code switch mid-translation (“She wants you to put down the marcadora”, and then, “dame the marker”). These intra-sentential switches were common in Juliet’s language, with both peers and adults. It was witnessed in purely social language, but primarily in settings where one or more school-related vocabulary word was being used. In fact it was hard to get a “pure” language sample from Juliet. In every language sample (accept one)I took Juliet displayed code-switching, linguistic blending, copying or semantic extensions.
The language sample I was able obtain almost entirely in English involved a lot of modeling in that language. After “switching” our English hat, Juliet describes her drawing with great linguistic complexity, varied sentence structure, and technical language related to the content area. She qualifies as a level 6 because of her Native English Language label (she is not qualified as an ESL student), and demonstrates abilities as such. While the one sample I found was free of linguistic transfer, most of the samples I obtained were peppered with individual Spanish words or phrases ("We don't [clean the room] because we have to, we do it so we can get un minuto mas. And if we do it, if we get to the alfombra, you have to give us un minuto mas"). This indicates to me that in some moments, Juliet has the Spanish vocabulary more close at hand than the English. I think this was especially true in talking about writing and classroom vocabulary (the colors of her drawing, for example).
Juliet’s Spanish language sample shows a willingness to use the language when vocabulary is readily available and she is in a familiar context (colors, animals, directions to do next). With me, she wasn’t as open to producing language in Spanish, but we only met a few weeks ago. With her peers, her classroom teacher, and especially in response to Spanish prompts, she is more likely to try out her Spanish. When she uses her Spanish she often copies syntax from English. She shows partial grasp of gender and plural agreement ("este" for "estes", "la palabras", "la osito"). She also used improper verb conjugation occasionally (tieno/tengo, esto/estoy). Her discourse patterns stayed fairly child-like and playful (lots of "ah-ha!' noises and such), but otherwise typically English-speaking and linear. She was likely to swap single phrases or words intra-sententially between languages, especially after hearing the vocabulary used in a model. In spontaneous discourse, Juliet would do the same ("En Rango. Es una, es una, es una movie."). She often repeats her words a few times before switching back to English, indicating that she is actively searching her Spanish vocabulary ("No es malo, pero es also, es also--como se dice mayor? El alcalde es malo, too.)
Her attempts only revealed one shot at an extended sentence, and her vocabulary stayed high-frequency and concrete. She was able to follow multi-step directions in Spanish but categorization was difficult. For these reasons I think of Juliet as a level 2, beginning, Spanish speaker. Her language control did feel very fluent (again--when the complexity and vocab were well known, and with peers or trusted community members), however, leading me to believe that Juliet is on the edge of a level 3 language development level.
Her attempts only revealed one shot at an extended sentence, and her vocabulary stayed high-frequency and concrete. She was able to follow multi-step directions in Spanish but categorization was difficult. For these reasons I think of Juliet as a level 2, beginning, Spanish speaker. Her language control did feel very fluent (again--when the complexity and vocab were well known, and with peers or trusted community members), however, leading me to believe that Juliet is on the edge of a level 3 language development level.
Hey Gwen! Interesting student you are following. I was so curious while I was reading the oral language analysis about how she had learned both languages, but from reading the introduction it sounds like her mom must speak it with her at home.
ReplyDeleteYou may not have seen her enough in a setting like this, but does she show the same code switching behaviors when she is with someone who speaks NO Spanish? (Perhaps a school employee.) My students know I speak Spanish, so they will happily code switch. I see them sometimes using Spanish words with other teachers who really don't understand. I think it's interesting to see, in her case, if she can "turn it off," since she is a native speaker of English. Maybe she was throwing in Spanish words because she knew you would understand?
I also think it's fascinating how, even when code switching, people still often use the correct gender. She said, "Es una movie" for la pelicula. Hmmm.... It would be interesting to see if that was consistent, since it could be just lucky that time. It seems like she was thinking about "la pelicula" on some level.
I'm curious if you see any areas/vocabulary that she has in Spanish but not in English. Maybe some academic vocab she has learned in school? She sounds like an interesting case. I'm looking forward to reading more about her!
Gwen,
ReplyDeleteIt was really interesting to read about a student in a DLI setting. I am assuming she would be caracterized as English dominant even though there is some Spanish support in the home? I wonder if you seen any Spanish Langauge Development opportunites for Spanish Language Learners in a DLI setting in order to allow them to expand their vocabulary? I'm sorry if I misread, but did you meantion where she is developmentally in English? I have noticed that even my Spanish dominant students are not as high on the levels of language proficiency as I thought they would be. I think a lot of their language proficiency has to do with access and exposure prior to formal school as well as after the normal school day. With that being said, a lot of my students do not get a lot of language support at home (for a variety of reasons), do you see the same lower than expected proficiency levels for one's dominant language?
Hi Gwen,
ReplyDeleteGreat post. I'd be interested to know in what grade your student is in. You mention that she is easily code-switching between English and Spanish, and from our readings, I'd love to know more about how the DLI environment and code-switching interact/change throughout the progression of a 90/10 model. At what point do students begin to "realize" that they are code-switching, and self-correct? If your student is younger, I would assume her code-switching is more natural as she slides between English (her native home language) and Spanish(the language of primary instruction in class). Also, you make a great point describing your student's willingness to search for vocabulary in Spanish, an ambitious task that not all language learners are willing to do.
Hi, team!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the thoughtful comments.
Carrie-- I pulled Juliet today to get her English writing sample, and I brought an English-only peer along for the lesson. She didn't code switch once! Well, not verbally. Tons of transfer in the writing, which I will discuss next week :)
As to Vocab, in writing we were working on a "sentence", and she didn't know the word. But she knew "frase".
Sergio--thanks for noting the oversight: K DLI student.
Iris-- paragraph 3 details her status as an SLL but not an ELL. Also, I agree. The CAN DOs are demanding. When I look at my own capacity as a language learner, I think I'm probably a 5ish.