Saturday, April 2, 2011

Juliet's Reading Analysis


Child as a reader

Juliet loves to read. When I found her in the nurse’s office, on her way home ill, she was curled up on the cot with a pile of books. She had pulled them from the nurse’s stash and they were all in English, but she was busily searching through the pictures and inventing text/decoding what she could. She clearly knows that text carries meaning, and views books as tools for information and entertainment.

In her classroom Juliet is an active reader, and is equally likely to respond in small group, whole group, or 1:1 with a teacher. She often, as seen in her oral language sample, responds in a code-switching manner, intersentetially and tagging flipping between her English and Spanish channels. 

Proficiency level

All of Juliet’s literacy instction in Kindergarten is provided in Spanish, and so are her classroom assessments. When Juliet entered school she scored a 4 on the Concepts About Print assessment (conceptos del texto impreso in Spanish), and referred to quotations marks as “mystery clues.” By January she had met the end-of-year goal for the CAP of 18. She was able to instructionally read the SPLAA level 2 in November and by January was reading a level 3. 

I read with her in both Spanish and English, and noticed that she is reading at a Rigby Benchmarks level 3 or 4 instructionally in Spanish, and a level 2 or 3 in English. While she could comprehend and decode at these levels instructionally, she was much more likely to get frustrated on English language texts, and to insert or invent text. In Spanish she was more likely to attempt using a variety of cues and strategies, and to miscue on words she didn’t have orally. In English she was more likely to miscue on words with irregular phonetic transcription, even if they were very common words she had access to. I think this is because Juliet hasn’t done much learning in English literacy, and therefore only relies on meaning and structure to solve difficulties in English. She has fewer “fix-it” strategies in English, and monitors less consistently, even though her problem solving strategies are transferring between both languages. 

Strategies/cues (Comprehension, decoding, and linguistic resources)

In Juliet’s reading she often has a self correct rate of 1:3, which is good but not excellent. This reveals that in both languages she is consistently monitoring herself for meaning, especially because almost all of her Self Corrects (SC) relied on meaning and structure and not visual cues. Conversely, her errors tended to be based in Visual (V) information that was missed or misread most commonly. In English, however, this was due to not having the code for some phonics, especially initial consonant blends. One example was while reading the word “shoe” in Meg’s Messy Room, Juliet attempted as such: “/s/-/h/-/o/”. Likewise, when reading the word “on”, she attempted: “/oh/-/n/”, using the Spanish code for the ‘o’ vowel sound. In this instance, however, she was able to use meaning and structure to figure out that the word must be ‘on’, and self correct. Because she had no clue that s+h sounded /sh/, she wasn’t able to do so in the first attempt with “shoe”. 

Interestingly she not only applied the Spanish phonetic code to her English reading, but also Spanish words. When she arrived at the word “said” for the first tim, she guessed “saltó”, even thought that wouldn’t make sense within the context of the sentence, “Look at my messy room, “ said Meg.

In her Spanish reading Juliet was much more likely to error on gender and agreement visual cues. She often said “está” instead of “están”, and “manzanas amarillos” instead of “manzanas amarillas”and so forth. This shows me that her oral language code is still immature, although she uses multiple sources of meaning to problem solve text. She was likely, also, to decode a nonsense word in Spanish while over-relying on the visual cues. This tells me that Juliet knows that she can consistently solve words in Spanish with her phonics, and suggests that she is aware that sometimes Spanish words won’t make sense to her. For example, instead of reading “cuerno” (horn) she read “cu-re-no”, which isn’t a word. She was able to talk about what the pencil drew on the goat (a horn), but didn’t know that word. 

Juliet is a generally fluent reader, but more so in Spanish than in English. I could see her transferring her skills into her English attempts, but it was also clear that she has a stronger visual code and skills in Spanish, and this assisted her fluent and expressive reading in her second language.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Gwen! I enjoyed reading your initial post about Juliet, so I came back to read some more this week. :) I found your observations of her reading very interesting. Like you said, it seems that her ability to try to self-correct or problem solve is stronger in Spanish, since that is her language of instruction. I know you mentioned earlier that her mom is a (bilingual?) teacher, so I would assume she is being exposed to a lot of text at home. I was a little surprised she didn't have stronger English reading skills, though perhaps her parents are not working on her English literacy much at home. I know you mentioned her low CAP scores at the beginning of the year, which improved greatly by mid-year. I wonder if that was because she didn't have the language to understand the questions, or if she really did not have the skills in Spanish. I also thought it was really interesting how she substituted Spanish words in the English text. It's almost like to her Spanish text has more meaning and more ways to read/problem solve than English. I have not worked with such a beginning reader in an immersion situation, so I thought this was really interesting. It will be interesting to see if she "grows" out of this as she becomes a more confident English reader. Thanks for sharing!
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gwen-
    I love reading about early reader's! I think it is interesting that she doesn't use visual cues because that is what my students use most at the upper level. I wonder if providing her with a picture with only 1-2 words would help her focus on visual cues. I also see common errors of leaving off endings. I was wondering if having students build words by syllable would help them to begin to recognize these endings, have her build esta, then estan, then estaban, etc. What do you think you can do to lessen the frustration she has with English? I have a 4th grader reading at a level 8, and I can see a lot of frustration and I don't know what to do. How do you think she was able to move so quickly on the concepts about print assessment? What teaching strategies were used or what was explicitely taught?

    ~Iris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gwen,
    I teach older kids so its been difficult to try and align my thought process to elementary levels, but I did have one question for you based on what you mentioned in your blog about visual cues. to what degree do you think kids are relying on visual cues to decode language? (not necessarily in L2 but as a whole when they are beginning readers). What happens to their reading abilities when they get passages that have few or no visual cues? I am wondering if older ELL students with limited proficiency get more frustrated and give up more easily when they read bc text books at the high school level have substantially less pictures for context clues. If you had to guesstimate, what % of the time do you think the pictures in your students books help them to arrive at the meaning of an unfamiliar word?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, team--

    @ Carrie I do think the improved CAP score had to do with her increased understanding of the questions. Some of the questions are hard to understand, even in your first language!

    Since she's in DLI 90/10, we won't find out much about her English writing until 2nd or 3rd grade, but it will be fascinating to observe.

    As to visual cues, I think I should define further that I was primarily referring to phonetic visual cues. She was able to use the pictures to support her meaning, and in fact they generally prompted self corrects when she made errors. Conversely, I think the endings will come when the oral language develops.I think it is a lot to ask of a student to know the gender/ quantity agreement when they are just beginning to break the "code" of the phonetic structures.

    I think that it is most often that kiddos over rely on visual phonetic cues. If they spend too much time "sounding out" words, they loose fluency, stamina, meaning and structure. So I advocate for as balanced as an approach to teaching skills integration as possible.

    The pictures are helpful, but only if the students are also using phonics cues from text, and structure cues from their oral language. I see kids who can invent text using only meaning from pictures, and they get just as frustrated as those stuck on s-o-u-n-d-i-n-g out words without any other strategies at hand.

    I think the piece that gets missed is the integration of all of the skills (does it look right? sound right? make sense?), and probably because that is the hardest thing to teach.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gwen!

    Juliet seems like a very exciting student to be working with. Her exposure to direct instruction in literacy in Spanish is a contrast from the school I am working with and my kinderten students experience. It makes sense that both my student (Vieri) and Juliet are more advanced in reading in the language in which they are recieving direct instruction.
    It is exciting that they are both attempting to transfer such knowledge when they are challenged to read and write in their first language, of which they have not been receiving direct instruction.
    I am very hopeful for someone like Juliet, who has a rich home environment for language building, is in a society that surronds her with rich vocabulary and is recieving instruction to build a base of knowledge in Spanish. She will gradually recieve instruction and begin to link the similarities and differences between both langauges while she is making sense of the world. It does make me concerned, however, for students like Veri, who will lack instruction in their first language more than likely unless they transfer to a school with a DLI or bilingual programming.

    ReplyDelete